Photo

How long should I wait before I follow up?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AlAdolph

AlAdolph

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

How long should I wait before I send a follow up letter after sending a resume?

#2 Jess

Jess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationChicago suburbs

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

When waiting to hear back from a potential employer, first review their submission policies. If it says anything about not contacting the company, restrain your impatience and move on. It won't look good if you ignore their policies and contact them anyway. Now, if their policies don't say anything about contacting them, I would go ahead and give them two weeks to respond. If two weeks pass after submitting your resume, it's often beneficial to follow up with them. You can either send an e-mail, call, or send a letter. However you choose to contact them, just ask if they have made any decisions yet and if not, tell them that you are still interested in the position. Then just cross your fingers and keep waiting!

#3 Soul Glo

Soul Glo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationQueens

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

Jess makes a good point about following the submission policies of an employer. In some cases, employers may not feel an urgent need to fill a position, so they might not get back to any applicants right away. It is not unheard of for employers to post a job listing when they know a position will become available or a new job will be created in the future so that they can have a pool of potential applicants to choose from right away.

Also, you want to make sure not to pester a company. There is a fine line between being aggressive and being overly aggressive. A polite follow up two weeks later is sufficient to express your enthusiasm and remind them of your interest. If you continue contacting them or follow up without allowing them sufficient time to review your materials, you may risk losing their consideration all together.

#4 Guest_AlteredBeast_*

Guest_AlteredBeast_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

I can see the point that both Jess and Darryl are making, but I must add my two cents. I have worked in hiring new employees and have sat in on interviews with several people much higher up than me in a Fortune 500 company, and almost all of the time, the candidate that followed up about a week after initially submitting their resume, was the one that was later hired. Companies want someone to show initiative in this economy. They know they hold the cards with unemployment and underemployment the way it is, and they can therefore wait until they get the candidate that strikes them as something special. It is better to pester than to be forgotten, in my opinion. Show them that your resume was not just one of a dozen random inquiries that you submitted at various companies. If you wait two weeks, they might have already moved into the interview phase and then the only thing reading your resume is the office shredder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users