Capitalization of the word church

When do you capitalize the word church?

#2 Jess Replied March 18, 2012 - 08:45 PM

Jess

Contributing Member

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationChicago suburbs
There are a couple occasions when the word "church" should be capitalized. The first is when it's referring to a particular church. For example, "Grace Lutheran Church" or "Calvary Baptist Church." The second instance when you would capitalize the word is when you're referring to a specific denomination. For example, "The Methodist Church" or even "The Church," when you're using the word to describe the entire Christian denomination. Otherwise, you don't need to capitalize the word. If you are just writing something like, "Yesterday, I went to church," you wouldn't need to capitalize it. Or even if you wrote, "All the churches in the entire world are in danger of being shut down," you would still refrain from capitalizing it.

#3 Ruby Replied March 20, 2012 - 01:06 PM

Ruby

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
You should capitalize the word church when it is referring to a specific church as “St. John’s Catholic Church” or to a religious denomination such as “The Roman Catholic Church.” When you are just referring to church in a general, nonspecific sense (“I went to church yesterday”) and not as a proper noun, do not capitalize.

#4 KSS0715 Replied February 15, 2014 - 07:29 AM

KSS0715

Grammar Newbie

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Jess, you're incorrect. Your first sentence is correct. You do capitalize the word church wnen referring to a specific church, Grace Lutheran Church, etc., but your second sentence is incorrect.  In that instance, it is not a proper noun, and all references I've found, most specifically, "The Gregg Reference Manual," state that "the Baptist church, the Methodist church," etc., is not capitlized.  Also, even when referring to your own congregation or the entirety of the entirety of Christianity, "the church" is not capitalized. Additionally, Christianity, in itself, is not a demonination.  Demoninations are Baptist, Congregationalist, Methodist, etc.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Learn More
BECOME AN EXPERT

Call Us

877-416-3698

Office

Write.com
33 Bronze Pointe
Swansea, IL 62226
TERMS | PRIVACY | SITE MAP     © Write.com All Rights Reserved.