• Please log in to reply

Joshua43
my code
Started March 19, 2012 - 01:10 PM

Joshua43

Contributing Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
I'm writing a research paper and need some help. My professor told us that we should avoid justifying a statement or procedure by using anecdotal information. What information is considered to be anecdotal?

#2 besmith59 Repiled March 20, 2012 - 12:16 PM

besmith59

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
The word "anecdotal" comes from "anecdote," which is a story about one's personal experience. Anecdotes are not proven facts. Your professor wants you to use proven facts to support any assertions you make.

#3 Soul Glo Repiled March 21, 2012 - 10:39 AM

Soul Glo

Contributing Member

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationQueens
I agree with besmith59 about the difference between anecdotes and proven facts. It sounds like the key factor that your professor is looking for would be the ability to document the facts and statistics that you include. For instance, if you are writing a paper about the death penalty, you should use measurable statistics to support your arguments rather than personal stories or subjective claims. Explaining that the death penalty is wrong because your uncle was actually innocent or because your sister heard a story about someone being exonerated after their execution is an example of an anecdotal claim that does not strengthen your argument. However, if you use verifiable information, such as official conviction rates, statistics about appeals or measured facts about recidivism, these would be valid pieces of information to include because they do not depend on readers to trust you.

#4 yatri Repiled April 06, 2012 - 05:49 AM

yatri

Contributing Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Any research paper is a document that is an analytical and serious dissertation on a specific topic. The argument or opinion needs to be buttressed by factual evidence, something that is true and acceptable and not mere conjecture or personal viewpoint. Anecdotal evidence or information cannot be used to justify or support a statement in a research paper, as it is purely subjective and cannot be considered factual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Learn More
Get Started

Call Us

877-416-3698

Office

Write.com
33 Bronze Pointe
Swansea, IL 62226
TERMS | PRIVACY | SITE MAP     © Write.com All Rights Reserved.