• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Slang Definitions of "Tight"

What are the meanings of the slang term "tight?"

#2 Cassandrab Replied February 13, 2012 - 02:59 PM

Cassandrab

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I most often hear it used as 'cool' or 'hip'. If someone said 'tight' I would assume it was a compliment.

Example:
That outfit is tight!

Reference: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tight

#3 swimcris Replied February 16, 2012 - 01:15 PM

swimcris

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
The slang term "tight" is generally used as an adjective to describe what something is like. A few synonyms of this word would be: awesome, cool, bodacious and impressive; some antonyms would be: stupid, dumb and idiotic. An example of the slang "tight" would be "Suzy's new video gaming system is tight" or "Bob just got this tight new hair cut."

#4 patw1985 Replied February 17, 2012 - 04:04 PM

patw1985

Contributing Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
I have no argument that "tight" essentially means "cool" or "awesome." However, we should not forget that those words are also slang.

"Awesome" literally means something that inspires the feeling of awe. "Cool" literally means to be slightly cold. The slang meanings of these words do not convey such strong emotions or literal sensations. These words basically boil down to saying something is acceptable, or that the speaker likes what is being described.

I point out that defining a slang term with other slang terms may engender more confusion; if someone does not know the definition of one common slang term, it is possible they will not know the meanings of other commonly used slang terms. Slang could be confusing to non-native speakers, so clarity is very important when explaining such terms.

#5 Kris Replied March 21, 2012 - 11:02 AM

Kris

Contributing Member

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
Yes, "tight" in slang definitely can mean "cool" or "awesome." However, never use slang unless you're talking to someone you know or of like mind. Never use slang in formal writing, and never use slang when writing for businesses or online articles. The only reason to use slang is informal conversation. You can use slang in informal articles, but it must be clear when you do so.

For instance, if you're writing an article about blue jeans, you really have to watch out how you use the word "tight."

"These blue jeans are tight and definitely look good with a tank-top." -- Using "tight" this way makes it sound as if the pants fit really tightly to your body. Even if you said "These blue jeans look tight," then it still sounds as if they snug the legs.

So you see, you really have to use slang mostly in informal situations where you're actually talking to someone and not during your writing, unless it calls for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Learn More
BECOME AN EXPERT

Call Us

877-416-3698

Office

Write.com
33 Bronze Pointe
Swansea, IL 62226
TERMS | PRIVACY | SITE MAP     © Write.com All Rights Reserved.