3 replies to this topic

#1 PurpleHooters

PurpleHooters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

Why is the abbreviation for cover letter just "CV?" Why not CL?

#2 Chris M.

Chris M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

The abbreviation "CV" does not stand for "cover letter." Instead, it is an abbreviation for the Latin phrase "curriculum vitae," which roughly means "the course of my life." It is like a resume, but often tends to be much more detailed, including many details about your educational career, employment history, and more. A cover letter is usually attached to a CV to introduce yourself to a potential employer. However, when you see the abbreviation "CV" being used, this is not just referring to the cover letter, but to the entire document.

#3 Soul Glo

Soul Glo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationQueens

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

I agree with Chris M about this. "CV" is not an abbreviation for "cover letter." As he points out, it is an abbreviation for a Latin phrase, and it actually refers to a different type of document much more closely aligned with a resume than a cover letter. If you are applying for a job and the employer asks for a CV, you should make sure to send more than a simple cover letter because there are looking for a more detailed document that illustrates your experience and qualifications. As a rule of thumb, you should consider a CV more or less interchangeable with a resume. Cover letters are your opportunity to write a more specific, directed message for the employer describing your interest in the specific position.

#4 Kris

Kris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

Everyone gave a good definition of the abbreviation already. All I can say is that you use a resume to list your employment history and a few informational pieces. The "CV" lets the potential employer know a lot more about you and what you can help bring to the company based on your word rather than a simple work history.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users