CheerfulEmily
my code
Started May 09, 2012 - 01:58 PM

CheerfulEmily

Contributing Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

When do you capitalize job titles?

What is the standard for capitalizing a job title, such as executive director or administrative assistant?

#2 Najee31 Replied May 10, 2012 - 12:29 PM

Najee31

Grammar Newbie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It is never necessary to capitalize a job title unless it is part of a person's particular job or name such as Executive Director Bob Johnson or Bob Johnson is the Senior Executive Director at Professor of Barefoot University. Here is an example of when you would not need to capitalize it; the executive director needs your assistance.

#3 lann11 Replied May 10, 2012 - 12:31 PM

lann11

Grammar Newbie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
If a job title precedes a person’s name, you should capitalize the title. For example, the “P” in Professor Smith should be capitalized. If it is descriptive and not the individual’s actual title, then you would not use capitalization. If the title is after the name, it is not capitalized, and this applies if it is descriptive or the actual title of the individual.

#4 Guest_Nattie_* Replied May 14, 2012 - 05:36 PM

Guest_Nattie_*
I agree with both above posts. When I apply for jobs, unless I am naming an exact position title or referring to a person's work title, such Doctor So-and-so, I do not capitalize job titles.

#5 Slicer Replied May 17, 2012 - 04:55 PM

Slicer

Grammar Newbie

• Pip
  • 6 posts
There is a difference between a job title and an honorific. Things like "Doctor", "Reverend" and "Mister" that precede a person's name are honorifics, and these are always capitalized. A job title is only capitalized when it is used as a title and not preceded by "a" or "the"; for example, "an executive director" or "the president" is not capitalized, while "John Smith, Executive Director" is. This is only a general English rule, and organizations sometimes have their own exceptions in formal communication.

#6 Guest_Administrative Assistant_* Replied August 23, 2012 - 08:10 AM

Guest_Administrative Assistant_*
So I am a professional experienced administrative assistant. Administrative assistant would not be capitalized correct?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Learn More
BECOME AN EXPERT

Call Us

877-416-3698

Office

Write.com
33 Bronze Pointe
Swansea, IL 62226
TERMS | PRIVACY | SITE MAP     © Write.com All Rights Reserved.