#1 Edward&Bella

Edward&Bella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

POPULAR

When is it appropriate to put a comma in between two or more adjectives that modify the same noun? For example, is it "I am buying a warm, puffy coat" or "I am buying a warm puffy coat"?

#2 Guest_Allison Geller_*

Guest_Allison Geller_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

The way I understand it, it is always necessary to put a comma between adjectives in a list. The only reason "I am buying a warm puffy coat" might be correct is if a "puffy coat" is a kind of coat that has previously been discussed, so that "puffy" is an adjective modifying "coat," and "warm" is modifying the entity "puffy coat." That would be the difference between a warm puffy coat and a warm, puffy coat.

#3 CrisFitz

CrisFitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

You must use commas between adjectives every time you use two or more. In your example, both “warm” and “puffy” are describing the noun “coat,” so they are both considered adjectives. However, when you have an adverb modifying the adjective that is modifying the noun, a comma is not necessary.

Consider, for example, the following sentence: “The hot pink shirt was distracting me.”

In this example, “pink” is describing the shirt, a noun, so “pink” is an adjective. But “hot” does not describe the shirt, it describes the shade of pink. So it is modifying the adjective, not the noun, which makes it an adverb and does not require a comma after it.

#4 Slicer

Slicer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

Only use commas between adjectives when they are of equal 'weight'. For example, you would say "red bowling shoes" but not "bowling red shoes". Here, while "bowling" modifies "shoes", it is considered part of the noun when the adjective "red" is placed before it. Therefore, there is no need for a comma in "red bowling shoes". However, "large, red bowling shoes" does require a comma, as you could also say "red, large bowling shoes".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users