Writing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tony Montana_*

Guest_Tony Montana_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

My directions are:

Develop a letter of intent: a typed statement (of at least 500 words) regarding the academic and professional goals to be attained through their work in the SPC graduate program.

What information are they looking for in this letter? Do they want to know why I am applying for their school, past experience, etc.? I need help getting started.

#2 BeerMe17

BeerMe17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

The following websites provide great advice and examples of letters of intent for graduate school:

http://www.sophisticatededge.com/sample-letter-of-intent-for-graduate-school.html
http://blogs.eciad.ca/wc/handouts/write-letters-of-intent-for-grad-school/
http://ask.metafilter.com/44528/How-to-write-a-killer-Letter-of-Intent

Personally, I think making sure to show your own voice, enthusiasm, passion and intelligence is very important to creating a letter of intent that will rise above the competition. Of course, everyone will provide the same basic information about what they want to study, why, and what they would like to do after graduate school, but if you can provide more than those basics, it will help your chances of being noticed.

#3 TonyDanzaTapDancing

TonyDanzaTapDancing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

They are first and foremost looking for a paper that is written well. They are not going to accept a student who cannot properly write a 500-word paper.

Aside from proper grammar and the ability to write well, they are looking for precisely what they said they were looking for. I have helped a few of my friends with these, and it is amazing how off track they go. Your letter of intent should be focused on what you hope to learn from the program, what your professional goals are and why you think the two fit well together.

Write about how you are interested in the program because the information interests you. State that your interest in this program will also help you further your professional goals which are....

#4 erinebennett

erinebennett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

Try focusing on what makes their school unique, and what about these unique aspects attracted you to the school. I just applied to college, and everybody stressed the importance of showing the school that you know what makes them unique and how that uniqueness matches you. I realize that may sound a bit confusing, but the main focus is that your goals match the school. Tell them exactly what part of their program you intend to utilize in achieving your goals. Past experience can't hurt in illustrating your desire to attend that school. Make yourself stand out and make them see that you know everything about their program, and they won't have any choice but to accept you!

#5 Mr. Miyagi

Mr. Miyagi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

Have several different people check your work for spelling errors, proper grammar, etc. Read it over outloud to yourself and see how things blend together.
Include a section on what brought you to the decision of choosing graduate school and the particular school you are applying for.
Make sure to mention what you would like to do with your master's and future aspirations.
Tell them what subjects you are looking forward to learning and how you can translate these into the workplace.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Writing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users