FamousMarcus
my code
Started February 22, 2012 - 02:48 PM

FamousMarcus

Grammar Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts

When to use excess and access.

The different words confuse me, what is the difference and how do you use them in a sentence between the words excess and access?

#2 Guest_DCAD_* Replied February 23, 2012 - 01:03 AM

Guest_DCAD_*
Excess generally means "to have abundance of" or "to have more than enough of". On the other hand, access means "a way or avenue of approach". For example, if I were to use the word excess, I could say, "I ordered an excess of food at the restaurant and now have too many leftovers." This statement clearly shows I have an abundance of food, thus I used the word excess. On the other hand, if I said, "I have access to the secret mainframe computer in Washington." In this case, access means that I have a way or ability to get to the secret computer. Thus, the difference between the two words is based on their definitions.

#3 orchestraboy Replied February 25, 2012 - 11:52 AM

orchestraboy

Grammar Newbie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Here is a tip to remember the difference between the words excess and access. Excess starts with the letter e; associate "e" with "extra." Access starts with the letter a; associate "a" with "ability." By taking the first letter of each word and assigning a synonym that starts with that letter makes remembering their meanings easier. Get creative and use these kinds of association games to help you in memorization.

#4 Kris Replied March 13, 2012 - 11:22 AM

Kris

Contributing Member

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
Orchestraboy is right on that one, and it's an easy way to remember the two. As long as you pronounce the two correctly, you shouldn't confuse the two and when you should use them.

ACK-cess -- gain entrance to or possession of -- "I have access to the files on the computer."
EX-cess -- EXtra or way too much -- "The computer is filled with excess programs that I don't even use."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Learn More
BECOME AN EXPERT

Call Us

877-416-3698

Office

Write.com
33 Bronze Pointe
Swansea, IL 62226
TERMS | PRIVACY | SITE MAP     © Write.com All Rights Reserved.