• Please log in to reply

Teodoro
my code
Started March 06, 2012 - 04:45 PM

Teodoro

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Capitalization of school subjects

When, if ever, do you capitalize school subjects? Is it math/Math, english/English, history/History? What are the rules on this? Thanks in advance for your help!

#2 fadedstar27 Replied March 07, 2012 - 08:54 PM

fadedstar27

Contributing Member

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
You capitalize these words when you are using them in conjunction of another word. In other words, when they are proper nouns. For example, "I hate math.", would not be capitalized because it's not a proper noun. However if you use the following sentence, "I dropped my Math book.", you would capitalize the word because it's a proper noun. It's a proper noun because it's describing what kind of book it is.

#3 redwildsparkles Replied March 08, 2012 - 03:09 PM

redwildsparkles

Contributing Member

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
FadedStar is wrong... "Math" is not a proper noun. (A proper noun is the name of a person or place, like James or Sacramento.) In that sentence, you should not capitalize "math."

Most of the time, don't capitalize school subjects. A lot of people do, but it's grammatically incorrect. They're not proper nouns, they're just normal nouns.

Except "English"; you must always capitalize "English," because the name of a language is always capitalized.

Here's when you capitalize the words of school subjects: when writing the official name of a specific class, like History of Anglo-Saxon Anthropology.

You would write, "I'm going to calculus class," but you would write, "My first class is Advanced Calculus 101."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Learn More
BECOME AN EXPERT

Call Us

877-416-3698

Office

Write.com
33 Bronze Pointe
Swansea, IL 62226
TERMS | PRIVACY | SITE MAP     © Write.com All Rights Reserved.